Monday, April 17, 2023

N IS FOR NOT

 At the beginning of my A-Z challenge this year, I came across a poem by Erin Hanson. 

As an aside, I began never worrying about how I am defined by others after my father died.

Yet, the poem is so relatable by so many, I immediately knew it needed to be my 2023 letter N. 

To my electronic friends... Stay strong and always know your worth!

Reading (with some friendly company) at Poppa's Camp
TAKEN: Lake Temiscamng ~ Summer of 1996

NOT ~ by Erin Hanson

You are not your age,

nor the size of clothes you wear,

you are not a weight,

or the colour of your hair.


You are not your name,

nor the dimples in your  cheeks,

you are all the books you read,

and all the words you speak.


You are your croaky morning voice,

and the smiles you try to hide,

you're the sweetness in your laughter,

and every tear you've cried.


You the songs you sing so loudly,

when you know you're alone,

you're the places that you've been to,

and the ones that you call home.


You're the things that you believe in,

and the people that you love,

you're the photos in your bedroom,

and the future you dream of.


You're made of so much beauty,

but it seems that you forgot...

When you decided that you were defined,

by all the things you're not.

No comments:

Post a Comment