Saturday, April 5, 2014

E IS FOR ESCAPE

I am willing to bet money, that if I asked two hundred people (100 I knew and a 100 I didn't) if they ever felt the need to escape from their everyday life, one hundred and ninety eight would say YES. My best guess would be that the two undecided would be women.

I'd also bet, that those same two women would have to ask me to repeat my question.Why? Because they’d have been too busy talking to each other (about the need to escape from their everyday lives) that they would have completely missed my question being asked!

MY PERFECT ESCAPE.
A beach, a book & a camera.
Taken: March 2012
Let’s face it. Before your mind races to the negative, every person has a unique idea of what their personal ‘escape’ might be. 

For me, I lean on time alone. A great book, a movie in bed, or a long walk whilst singing my very favourite songs aloud.

In many ways, this silly blog is probably my most frequented escape.

Yet, my latest escape actually happened this morning. I unexpectedly headed to the laundry mat and I didn’t know a single soul in a town where I thought I knew everyone. I loved the sound of the water swishing around in the washing machines and rumble of the clothes in the dryers. I suddenly found an inner calmness in everyone minding their own business. It was in that very moment, I knew I'd escaped. I opened my notebook and chose my word.

Today was the very best kind of escape I live to experience: the unexpected kind.

Who knew that a plethora of well heated Bounce dryer sheets could smell so good?


7 comments:

  1. In med school, the least favorite chore became the most peaceful escape. The laundromat was always warm even on cold Wisconsin mornings, and the smell of the dryer sheets reminded me of my home in So. Cal even though I was far away. Thanks for the memory...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I am very glad to have my own washer and dryer now, laundromat days weren't all bad - it's sort of enforced time away from general responsibilities while you wait for your clothes to be ready to fold. I now look forward to time "off the radar" in my busy life - enjoy your escapes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. An escape to the laundry mat? Now that's depressing. I like the beach escape better but haven't had one of those in a long time. I guess smelling Bounce can have its pluses.

    From AtoZ. Please come see me.
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely want to escape, I battle to understand people that don't want to have a change but then I realized that there's nothing wrong with people accepting normality and I'm just not that type of person...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you Nats. Do you want to hear something eerie? The photo the the book I have posted is Eat Pray Love... I kid you not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I ventured into the 900's today...great post. Listening to the sound of my dishwasher right now. I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you ventured into the 900's today too Lisa! I was sorry to read about your Mom. You now have a proud new follower :) Read ya tomorrow

    ReplyDelete