Saturday, January 19, 2013

Weight Loss Comes from Everywhere

This time last year? I was hugging a loveable bed hogging beagle with great anticipation of a very luxurious island vacation. Where am I at this year? I tend to spend the majority of my time chastising a very destructive yellow lab pup, and this week my tentative island vacation time was cancelled.

OK, in The Bossman's defence, cancelled is a strong word. Postponed is more like it. Luckily he and I discovered the conflict before any of "the very hard earned money" he pays me was ever spent! Said conflict, combined with the fact that I have no desire to fly out in the next minute and a half, resulted in my choice to postpone. 

With travel front of mind (for whatever reason) I was looking at the bazillion pictures I took from last year’s vaycay. I had some very mixed emotions when I returned home. That said, just like anything, anyone's perspective can change with time.

I was 20lbs heavier in 2012. I am 500lbs lighter in 2013.
Taken: February 27th, 2012
When it comes to my trip to Jamaica last year; my opinion today is not what it was a year ago, I know it shifted again six months ago, and after looking at my pictures this week... again it's further evolved. 

I remember being wound tighter than a top when the plane landed and it took me more than four days to decompress. (A series of upsetting emails had me pre-occupied and as a result I couldn't sleep.) 

That said, in chatting with an electronic friend this week, I was adamant that I didn't want to return to Jamaica. Not because I didn't love the island, the people, and the experience; but  because I didn't want to become complacent. So many places to go. So many people to meet. You know the deal. 

After thinking about it further, I know that I really do want to return. I want to return to the island without the weight of the world on my shoulders. I want to return without the need to have all the answers by the time I return. Most of all, I want to return with a true desire to unconditionally enjoy my surroundings. I will promise to leave work behind as well we any bullshit at home. I'll simply board the plane in a sundress and flip flops and kick some serious ass!

It's such a cliché when one says that "hindsight is always 20/20" in this case it is. I'm not going to blame my eyesight but it appears in the last couple of years I'd developed a squint. At first I thought it was just old age. Turns out I just needed to change my focus.

Peace Out Negil. You haven't seen the last of me yet!





No comments:

Post a Comment