Friday, April 5, 2013

E is For…EULOGY

This post is dedicated to my Auntie Joan Theresa Perrault McNally who passed away January 13, 2013 and her Memorial Service is tomorrow. 
May she forever Rest In Peace.


April 5th, 2013 - EULOGY
RIP Auntie Joan. You were one amazing lady.
It started when I was in Grade 8. It was Labour Day weekend and my Dad received the call. If he
wanted to see his father before he passed, he had to leave right away. By the time he had packed his bag the second call arrived; my Pépére was gone.

That December my mother’s mother passed, and from that point on, death has always had a front seat in my life.

I nursed both my parents to their death by the time I was 40, but I think it was attending the funeral of the first person I ever fell in love with, that made everything really resonate. Life is short.

Because death haunts me to the core; listening to someone delivering someone’s final exhalation, helps me process the loss and aid with the grieving process. What better tribute than to hear the song that reminds you of most of them, or a video they have prepared for their young children to help them say good bye. Just typing that makes me think of how many times I have unexpectedly experienced the ritual, swells my heart and dampens my eyes.

For me any eulogy is a sign of unconditional love. It`s opens my heart as wide as it can go. When it comes to me, my thoughts are few and my wishes fewer; all I can do is hope that when my time comes there is laughter. I don’t want people to be sad. I have worked my entire life not to be sad.

When my eulogy is delivered, just like my Auntie Joan I hope that they start with: I am really going to miss Rhondi. She unconditionally loved life. She never EVER gave up!





6 comments:

  1. Dear Friend, I'm with you...just reading your post brings tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat. I've been there where you are, so many times. I am the last survivor of all my five siblings and will be 80 next month (God willing), but I live with joy and stay busy... I have no fear of death beyond what is normal for anyone. I know where I will be and will be joining my dearly departed husband one day, along with Jesus and all those saved who've gone before me. Good post. Best regards to you. Ruiby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost both my mother-in-law and father-in-law during the past four months. It's been very difficult. This is a fresh topic for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I lost one of my best friends recently, so I offer my sympathy and admiration. It's very brave of you to choose this word and reveal so much of yourself online.

    Happy A to Z!

    http://lillian888.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post. I recently lost a childhood friend & that was my first loss as an adult. It was so shocking and left me reeling for days, reflecting on my life and hers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your aunt looks like she was a lovely person... thank you for sharing her picture with us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear you have had to handle so much loss, so young - you must be one strong woman - your Auntie looks like a wonderful lady

    my Dad died almost 14 yrs ago, still have a tough time of it, thankful my Mom is still here, she tries to scare us though, she is a 3x breast cancer survivor with a few other fun & games in the hospital

    ReplyDelete