Sunday, March 10, 2013

It's Official. We're On The Same Page!


I woke Saturday morning invigorated and in the need of some serious fresh air and amazing UV rays. It was officially March Break in Muskoka, so naturally I knew I wanted to venture into the cottage.  

Two years ago I would not have spent a single summer night alone at the cottage. Yesterday I was willing to go in for the night alone and it's winter. What's the core difference between then and now? A couple of years ago I wouldn't venture anywhere without my husband; today that isn't the case.

I have spent more than half of my entire life with my husband. We started dating when we were 21, married at 23, had our first child at 25 and the twins were born when we were 27. He knows me better than anyone else and as a team we've made a very good life for ourselves. He knows I need structure; and after all these years, I think he may finally be understanding it (rather than just calling me a complete pain in the ass)!
  
Let’s face, with what we've accomplished we HAD to have structure. Three kids in diapers, two cats, one dog, a father that lived across the street and eventually in our home (not to mention a husband that played every sport imaginable and knew everyone in town). There HAD to be a plan. I suppose yesterday he figured because I didn’t have a plan in place, I wouldn’t really want to go. He was mistaken; that was then, this is now.

Catching some rays with my Guy. We had a blast!
Taken: March 9th, 2013
Moving on the fly, we let things unfold as they may, and had a great time. The cottage was warmer inside than out, and within 20 minutes we were unpacked and outside for a glorious day with the pups. 

You know what the most amazing thing was about yesterday? It's evident that we've evolved.

For various reasons the cottage had become my thing. He understands why; as a result, he knows that it's his responsibility, to try and catch up.

Even so... as we were loading the toboggan to start walking in, I gave him  a hug and a kiss and thanked him for joining me.

I verbalized “I know you really didn’t want to do this”  and for the first time in what feels like forever I felt he gave a heartfelt reply.

We are finally on the same page. Not because I got my way but because we communicated and spent the time the way we both wanted to. He bent and listened to the the radio station I liked. I unconditionally watched the movies he picked. Simple yet effective. As a result, a great time was had by all.

Honestly? Truth of the matter is that I wouldn't have ventured to the cottage without him. It just feels really great that he knew it was so important to me that he decided to come with. 

Seriously, what more could a girl ask for?




No comments:

Post a Comment