Saturday, May 26, 2012

Rhondi's Motto? "MUST LOVE GOLF!"

After a very long and emotional day yesterday, I arrived home to enjoy two of my favourite things; a quiet  dinner and the camaraderie of the kids and I hitting golf balls into the gully. Golf has always been something I’ve really enjoyed. 

I vividly remember the first time my Dad asked me walk nine holes with him. I remember being in awe of how far he could hit the ball. He started me off with putter and by the end of that first season I was hitting all of my four clubs. I was ten years old. 

After graduating high school my focus changed; from sports to men, men to marriage, and of course a family followed. When the twins were old enough to head to the ball park with their dad - I started to golf again. 

I must admit I've never focused on spending a lot of money on top of the line clubs (bought my first set at a lawn sale) instead I've always focused on my technique. The Golf Channel in the late 1990’s? ...My friend! 

Flash forward to 2011. I golfed every Friday last season and realized how much I loved and truly missed the sport. After hitting my buddy Dave’s TaylorMade driver last August (and putting it on the front of the green) I knew a financial investment was imminent. 

My self-gifted Mother’s Day present of brand new TaylorMade Rocketballz is something that I feel I have earned (kind of like a graduation present for my empty nest). After playing this afternoon I shot my lowest score ever for nine holes but that’s not why I am smiling. Today, I golfed alone, for the very first time in my life.


Play was painfully slow, so after waiting and waiting, I ended up hooking up with a twosome of men behind me. Boy, that last sentence just reads wrong. Hang on, it gets better. How crazy is it when a woman hits a monster drive, she hears strange men yell “good stroke” Bizarre? Not really, golf truly has it's own language. It’s a passion! A passion that is worth the effort, that I can honestly call my own, an escape. It may only last a couple of hours but that time belongs to me. 


Moral of my post? Those really close to me, that want to be entitled to my quality time? "MUST LOVE GOLF!"

No comments:

Post a Comment