Sunday, January 30, 2022

THE HEARTBEAT AT MY FEET

This girl has never been anything but a pure joy to raise!
TAKEN: 2015 & 2019

 Our wee Annie was five weeks old when we brought her home. I believe she was the runt because she could pretty much fit in my hands and no ability to eat or lap water. We tended to her round the clock those first three days, which I believe saved her life.

I am a firm believer that no matter what their age, a dog knows when you save them. Instinctually, I am sure they understand you’re getting them though that darkness, which in turn blesses you with unconditional loyalty for as long as they live.

Annie isn't the first dog we rescued, she was just the youngest. One was five months old, one about a year and the third a year and a half. In all instances all were eternally grateful except one. We had to put Sally down for aggression and biting. 

We have always raised and rescued females and all were spayed to prevent any unexpected visits from the stork; actually, all but my Annie.

You see, I usually wait until after their first heat and she never had her first until she was three. Her second followed 24 months later. There was never an intention to breed her, and because she was so well behaved - after six years just never bothered as she's never left my side.

Well, when my husband and I were in the city this past December, our dog sitter had friend over with his male dog. I hadn't been concerned at the time because Annie hadn't been in heat - or so I thought.

This past week, we noticed a major change in her disposition. She was moody with the rest of her pack and very clingy to me. Clingy never surprises me, because she has never more than a couple of feet away from me at all times. This was almost obsessive neediness.

Well, after a bit of research we have discovered that Annie in going to be a momma in a couple of weeks.

We've never wanted to breed any dog and this doesn't change out opinion in this situation. That said, I am taking on this situation like I do most thing. 

With my glass half full, I will be simply treating it as another new adventure and promise to keep everyone posted!

#yagottalaughaboutit

No comments:

Post a Comment