Sunday, February 24, 2013

Come On Baby Light My Fire...

As most of you (that follow me on Facebook) know, I had a wee little bit of a bonfire in the backyard last night.

It takes some effort to get a great one built this time of year but you know me and perseverance; when I tell myself I am going to do something, try and stop me. Planning started when I woke up yesterday morning.

My first step was to let the fire in the airtight in the house die down. Mid-afternoon, I transferred those coals to the ash bucket, and headed out back. I proceeded to carefully locate the rock lined fire pit in the backyard and started to dig out a serious amount snow.

Once I hit rock I gathered my supplies and began to build. Hot coals, varying types of paper, kindling, bark, small dry wood then the "great stuff". It's that last secret ingredient that produces my personally patented marshmallow coals about four hours later. 

Seriously, a stellar bonfire is like building a sandwich; everything's got a specific place both for visual effect, and overall experience. 

Pretty cool sandwich metaphor eh? It's much easier referencing my passion to sandwich making, rather that what it very well may be. Certain bells and whistles tend to go off for most when one admits they’re a maniac.

Throw "PYRO" in front of the word and the police often tend to take a keen interest in your whereabouts on an ongoing basis!

What can I say? Everyone's a critic!

There really is a method to my madness of bonfire building.
I am dead serious when I say 'it's taken me years to hone my craft'!
TAKEN: February 23, 2013


Wish you could have joined me last night. Maybe another time? Lord knows there will be others!


Teaching Goob the "CRAFT"
Taken: March Break 2004
   
Ringing In the New Year
Taken: New Year's Eve 2006


One of my best ever!
Taken: Labour Day Weekend 2010


Enjoying a drink at the house with my friend Will...
Taken: April 2012


The last one of the BEST SUMMER SEASON EVER...
Taken: End of August 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment